Thursday 2 August 2018

BEWARE OF BACKGROUND NOISE

Bear in mind that the microphone picks up every last thing that we mentally filter out so everyday objects suddenly become an irritant, stuff that you'll never have even considered before.

Firstly, the clock on the wall. It ticks louder than you ever thought possible and can render hours of work utterly worthless all because you forgot to take it out of the room first.

I've already touched on using a laptop over a desktop PC but don't move about too much when recording either because even the best chairs creak to some degree.

Wear soft clothing that won't rustle and leave your phone well away from the microphone or you may find those message signals making a guest appearance on your recording track.

Finally for the time being, your washing machine or tumble dryer resonates through the house even though you might not hear it several rooms away or even upstairs. I learned this lesson the hard way when I found that a drying cycle had been rumbling up through the floor, my desk and into the padded recording booth without me even hearing it. I only realised when I recorded the next section of a book and the difference in audio was crushing.

Audio recording will make you hear everything around the house in a different way!

No comments:

Post a Comment